- Rest and relax and enjoy peace and quiet
and the beauty of nature...
- In the Cottage
- On the deck
- In a hammock by the riverside or in
- On the River...
- Inner Tube floats*
- Enjoy the gravel bar and hiking along
the river bank
arrange for motorized river tours, including a river trip to see the famous,
Looney Tavern (currently
unreachable by car)
*Shady River provides a canoe, kayaks, and
tubes, along with the necessary personal flotation and
Due to insurance regulations, all equipment, including the
electric kart, is for use by Shady River registered guests
- On the Land...
- Walk or hike the miles of woodland
and meadow trails on our property, or drive most of them
using the electric kart we supply to you. If you enjoy
mountain biking, bring your non-motorized mountain bike and
ride our trails.
- Drive the electric kart on the hay
field perimeter road. It is a mowed path along the edge of
the woods/hay fields. The perimeter road connects with the
"Old Military Road", an old road bed. Local lore says it was
one of many branches of the
Old Military Road/Southwest Trail/Natchitoches Trail. It
is certainly near the main route of the trail and seems to
lead in the general direction of the main route, and
it also leads to a known ford in the river. On the road you
will be surprised with a very old dwelling and barn. Some of
the newspaper wallpaper inside dates to the early 1920s. We
do not recommend entering the old buildings, but look in if
- Drive the electric kart beyond the
cottages to Mable's Landing on the Eleven Point River for a
- Drive the electric kart toward the
main house, following signage to the river and take a very
rocky road down to the gravel bar. There is a fire pit there
for wiener roasts and a gravel bar for relaxing in a lawn
chair with your feet in the water.
- Hike, hike hike! There are at least 5
"mountain" trails to hike on our property. Four of them
start from the Hay Field Perimeter Road: Cemetery Road, Hay
Field Nature Trail, Walking Stick Trail, and Fence Road.
Most are easy hikes and all lead to "Capitol Hill", the
summit of our little mountain. Another nice hike begins down
in the valley and leads to the trail head at what we call
- Bird Watch
- Study local flora and fauna
- Nighttime stargazing
- Sketching and painting
- At the cottage...
- Watch a movie. While connection for TV channels is not
provided, a TV and DVD movies and player are placed in each
cottage for your enjoyment. Feel free to bring your own DVDs.
- Check your e-mail and surf the web:
we provide free high speed Wi-Fi Internet for use
with your laptop.
- Play games (we provide a few, or
bring your own)
- Read a book (we provide a few, or
bring your own)
- Barbeque on the deck
- Rock on the front porch and watch for
- Sit out under the stars and gaze
- Relax in the soaking tub on
Also, be sure to check out
all the things to do within an
hour's drive of Shady River!